So how do I fill this box in.........

I'm an herbalist, as everyone should be pretty much aware of by now as I shout it from the rooftops quite a lot. I feel it's actually getting to be part of my identity though the transition from 'student' to 'qualified herbalist' who happens to be a grown up, while on one hand is really quick (the whole yes you've passed, graduation is ....) the emotional reality is a lot different. Because apart from everything else that simple statement means that you have to change the way that you think about yourself, putting yourself in a different box so to speak.
As part of that whole being a grown up thing you have to do responsible things like get insurance (public and private liability insurance, cover for the stock, possibly for where you practice as well depending on your situation) and join one of the governing bodies. In the uk these would generally be either the CPP (College of Practitioners of Phytotherapy) or the NIMH (National Institute of Medical Herbalists) there are a few others like the EHTPA (European Herbal & Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association) or the BHMA (British Herbal Medicine Association) though.
I've applied to join the NIMH. I have made my request and had all the paperwork back to fill in (the application form looks just like a job application), filled in and sent off all the documents required for the CRB check required before you can be an official member of the NIMH and boy did that sting! £60 is a lot of money for a fledgling business. The cost is possibly subsidised by the NIMH but I'm not sure about that one. I've started to fill the application form in, it is like a job application form, they even want an up to date CV to go with it though there is also space for the educational/job history bit on the form too. And then there is the 'and why do you want to join the NIMH' question. Which is where I stutter to a complete halt and go; what? eh? But you have to.......... in a very confused manner.
Because no offence meant to anyone who might possibly be reading this who is part of any of the governing bodies or the people who decide policy but I was under the impression that with the event of statuatory regulation it was almost a legal requirement these days if you wanted to be a practising herbalist. Which kind of negates the question really, if the answer is because you have to then asking why doesn't seem to have that much point.
However, I still have to fill that section in and just putting 'because I have to' isn't going to do me any favours at this juncture I can tell (I do actually want to join remember) so what do I say?
Well, I know the NIMH offer a mentoring scheme for the first year for new practitioners and I qualify for that as I only graduated this year so that is something I can talk about, belonging to a group of people who also do what I do I think will be useful and helpful, support, networking, marketing, exchange of ideas and availability of sounding boards, all that kind of stuff. Also, I've got to remember to keep it concise, there isn't that much room in that box either. Still, that's given me enough of an idea to start. Suggestions however would be welcome..........

Comments

  1. Good to "meet" another UK herbal enthusiast, Stephany although I'm a herbwife rather than a clinician. You might want to get in touch with Sarah Firnberg in Birmingham. She presented a session on "The perils and pitfalls of setting up in practice" at my herb festival two weeks ago, so she might have some tips for you. Ali English is another "young" herbalist in Lincoln who might have some pointers for you. Sarah will be presenting at the NIMH conference this year. Good luck with your practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Must say I'm really enjoying it so far. I would like to meet Sarah Firnberg at the NIMH conference, though I'm only going to be staying for the Friday as I'm a little bit too skint. However, if I can pick her brains and maybe nab some notes that would be a bonus. I think I might have conversed with Ali English via facebook, it will be very nice to meet people face to face. I'm going to the CPP conference too. Will you be at either?
      I am intrigued, what do you class as a herbwife and why do you view yourself as such?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Herbal Perspective on Menopause

Bokashi Bins

How to Help Yourself after a Cancer Diagnosis; An Herbalist Perspective